Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Hajime! The Japanese who dared to change the destiny of a nation.

Hajime.

Hajime was a guy from my tute class in Year 9 at Morley SHS, and he was a Japanese exchange student who not only revolutionized my opinion of Japanese people, but keeps on popping up in my life in ways that I never would've anticipated. Not only myself, but those around me are still feeling his influence.

Firstly, he used to always get questions from people in class about popular Japanese phrases and cool things to say. He'd always answer them with:

Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.

We never gave much thought to it, always assuming that he was just being an eccentric Japanese student... until now.
Ladies, gentlemen, I give you Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo. (Well, the opening sequence for the show.)




From Youtube comments: It's like being high, but not.

From what I can gather from my sources (okay, it was just Wikipedia), it's about a world where everyone has their heads shaved and only one man, Bobobo is willing to stand up to them, fighting with his prehensile (for lack of a better word) nosehair.
He used to say all this in 2002, and now it's 2007 and we're just catching up to him.

Japanese music was also another thing he'd be asked about. I don't ever recall asking him, but Sean distinctly remembers the phrase "DJ Crash". Skip forward to tonight, and when looking at "IGN's 26 best albums you might have missed", DJ Krush ranks in at position 15.
After YouTubing again, turns out DJ Krush is actually quite good. And incredibly famous.
To top it off, Hajime introduced Mike to Dir En Grey, his ultimate death metal Japanese heroes.

Who is Hajime to you?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hajime is the element which keeps the forces of the universe in balance. Without him, there would be no universe.

Mikey said...

Hajime (read as ”はじめ”) is literally translated into english as "begin". This could be Interpreted as Hajime being "the beginning" to all things we know. We are only catching up to his prophecies 5 years later. I must say... Hajime, is from the future! A prophet if you will.