Saturday, January 13, 2007

Cereal, More Than a Breakfast Food?


Cereal. More than just morning food?

There are times, late at night when my nocturnal hunger screams to be satisfied. Sure, I could have some hot food, such as the all mighty Mi Goreng or a healthier alternative, a piece of fruit.

Not only can you add such healthy ingredients into your cereal such as milk and pieces of fruit, there is also a fucking huge variety of cereals itself you can choose from, which make it one of the kings of late night snack foods.

I have argued (usually with myself) whether or not cereal is actually better as a late night snack than a breakfast food. Here is my verdict, it is based on a couple tests I have set:

1. Does it taste better at night than in the morning?
Well, I find that it does taste better at night because my taste buds has not been altered by that freshly brushed teeth feeling, i.e. making pieces of fruit within the cereal taste sour.

2. Does it feel better to eat it at night?
Yes, early in the morning, nothing is worse (well for me) than having cold liquid running down my throat and loud crunching in my ear. Most of you would have to agree that you're pretty grumpy in the morning and that you'd rather have some peace and quiet whilst you're recovering from your sleep...Or a hangover.

3. Healthier to eat it at night?
Probably not, see, the adding of milk to the cereal will make you sleepy after consumption, which is highly likely to lead you to go to bed. And whilst it's not that bad to sleep once in a while straight after a meal, it has been said to be an unhealthy practice if done regularly.

4. Easier to make at night?
No, adding milk to cereal is not easier to make at night. I have timed myself adding milk to the cereal at night and in the morning, and I have found that there is no time difference as it is not easier to pour milk into cereal at night than in the morning.

Conclusion:
So there you have it folks, semi-scientific proof that cereal does in fact, make a better night snack than a breakfast food.

5 comments:

Mikey said...

yummy, cereal as a snack is said to be good for you.

"Simple changes in eating habits (like substituting healthy cereal for other snacks) can help people lose weight. Such changes can be used along with other strategies to reduce obesity."

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-research/summaries/waller-cereal.jsp

Lord Dianabol said...

I love fruit loops!

Anonymous said...

finally a longly pondered question has been answered

Anonymous said...

now answer this... which meal is mi goreng most suitable at?

Anonymous said...

Referenced at:
http://breakfastbowl.blogspot.com/2007/01/cereal-and-bloggers_24.html